Join me and share your knowledge at the following events...
Click on 'Article Link' below tags for tour dates...
Lets explore ways to get 'Moving a Nation to Care' about and for our returning troops. Let's come together for a solid discussion and learning experience on both ends.
Ilona will be participating in and photographing the following NIU Veterans Day events:
THURSDAY | Nov 5
6:00 p.m. / Holmes Student Center / Room 405
"NIU Veterans Club Community Roundtable" - The first such public gathering convened by the NIU Veterans Club, facilitated by Ilona.
FRIDAY | Nov 6
2:00-7:00 p.m. Open House, 7:30 p.m. Formal Ceremony / Holmes Student Center / Regency Room
"Department of Illinois Military Order of the Purple Heart Movable Memorial Wall remembering Illinois’ Fallen Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Veterans"
SUNDAY, Nov 8
7:00 p.m. / Holmes Student Center / Sandburg Auditorium
"Vet Art Project-NIU Presents New Art About War & Service -- a public performance and viewing"
WEDNESDAY, Nov 11
11 a.m. / NIU Veterans Memorial / Castle Dr. & College Ave.
Veterans Day Remembrance
Last updated on November 1, 2009.
Additional updates at the Moving a Nation to Care: Latest News page. Sign up to receive a once daily dose of PTSD Combat (as long as something new is posted) to stay on top of all the latest news and info as we push forward.
And please email me if you'd like to suggest a stop. All aboard!
* May 10, 2007 - Waltham, MA: Back Pages Books [notes]
* May 16, 2007 - Philadelphia, PA: Robin's Bookstore [notes]
* May 18, 2007 - New York City, NY: Barnes & Noble-Greenwich Village [notes]
* May 20, 2007 - Sunday Book Salon at firedoglake, 5pm ET [notes]
* June 5, 2007 - Berkeley, CA: Moe's Books [notes]
* June 6, 2007 - Tempe, AZ: Changing Hands Bookstore [notes]
* June 9, 2007 - Oceanside, CA: Barnes & Noble [notes]
* June 12, 2007 - St. Louis, MO: Left Bank Books [notes]
* June 20, 2007 - Boulder, CO: Boulder Book Store [notes]
* June 21, 2007 - Denver, CO: Tattered Cover Bookstore [notes]
* July 12, 2007 - Seattle, WA: University Book Store [notes]
* August 3, 2007 - Chicago, IL: YearlyKos Convention appearing on the panel The Military and Progressives: Are They That Different?, 9:15 am. [notes]
* August 23, 2007 - Chicago, IL: In the Valley of Elah screening followed by combat PTSD Q&A (Ilona appears on panel) [notes]
* September 1, 2007 - Decatur, GA: Atlanta Journal Constitution Decatur Book Festival Moving a Nation to Care signing, 3pm. [notes]
* September 2, 2007 - Decatur, GA: Atlanta Journal Constitution Decatur Book Festival Moving a Nation to Care reading and signing, 12:00 pm. [notes]
* September 6, 2007 - Chicago, IL: In the Valley of Elah screening followed by combat PTSD Q&A. Ilona appears on panel. [notes]
* September 21, 2007 - Chicago, IL: Ilona appears on 'Issue Forum with Frank Avila' on CAN-TV, 9:30 p.m. CDT. [notes]
* September 27, 2007 - Online: Second Life interview with Ilona, 6pm PST/9pm EST [details]
* October 16, 2007 - Amherst, MA: Food for Thought Books presentation and signing, 7pm. Kevin and Joyce Lucey, Kevin Bowe, and many other special guests. [notes]
* November 13, 2007 - Dixon, IL: Ilona delivered the Veterans Day Dinner keynote address at Dixon Elks Lodge #779 [notes]
* December 12, 2007 - Washington, D.C.: Ilona testifies at House Committee on Veterans' Affairs Hearing, Stopping Suicide: Mental Health Challenges Within the Department of Veterans Affairs. [testimony | notes]
* May 21, 2008 - Nashville, TN: "Healing the Hidden Wounds" veteran caregivers symposium sponsored by Nashville Public Television and NAMI-TN. Ilona delivered the afternoon keynote. [notes]
* September 9, 2008 - Park Ridge, IL: Ilona participated in a veterans' issue town hall meeting at "Illinois' friendliest VFW post" alongside IL Veterans Affairs Director Tammy Duckworth and State Senator Dan Kotowski. [notes]
* October 31, 2008 - Kansas City, MO: Ilona delivered the closing keynote at the "When the War Comes Home: Advocacy and Treatment for Returning Veterans" conference held at the National World War One Museum-Liberty Memorial. [notes]
* December 13, 2008 - Carol Stream, IL: Ilona attended a Vet Art Project exploratory community outreach/orientation workshop (part of the Chicago Cultural Center Incubator Series)led by Vet Art Project's Lisa Rosenthal. [notes]
* January 26-27, 2009 - Washington, DC: Ilona was honored to participate in the Survivor Corps Community Reintegration Summit at the Carnegie Institution. [notes]
* February 13, 2009 - Chicago, IL: Ilona led the discussion, Renaissance by Fire: Returning Veterans, Society and the Forging of a New Enlightenment, as part of the month long Vet Art Project series. Held on the eve of the first anniversary of the NIU shootings, members of the NIU Veterans Club participated. [notes]
* February 23, 2009 - Chicago, IL: Ilona attended and photographed the Chicago Cultural Center Incubator Series/Vet Art Project showcase performance of collaboratively created art about war. The project was led by VAP's Lisa Rosenthal. [notes]
* March 27-28, 2009 - Fall River, MA: Ilona spoke at the 3rd Annual Female Faces of War Conference, which included an overnight stay on the Battleship Massachusetts for all attendees.
* April 3-4, 2009 - Hammond, IN: Ilona presented her NIU Senior Honors Capstone paper, "Combat Veterans, Mass Media and the Advancement of Social Consciousness: An Historical and Contemporary Review," at the 17th Annual Clement S. Stacy Undergraduate Research Conference.
* August 10, 2009 - Poplar Grove, IL: OIF vet and author Tyler Boudreau's "The Other Side: Cross-Country Cycling Tour Summer 2009" stop at Poplar Grove Airport Wings & Wheels Museum. Ilona (and husband) hosted Boudreau and facilitated the community discussion, "Joining Forces: A Dialogue on Forging Military and Community Bonds w/Tyler Boudreau," which also included members of the NIU Veterans Club.
More tour photos >>>
Friday, February 23, 2007
Join me and share your knowledge at the following events...