The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee's national security panel, headed by Rep. John Tierney, D-Mass., scheduled a hearing at the hospital's auditorium Monday morning. The list of Army officials, hospital staff and patients invited to speak includes the medical center's previous commander, Maj. Gen. George Weightman. The defense subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee also scheduled a hearing on Walter Reed for Monday. ...
The White House said the president would name a bipartisan commission to assess whether the problems at Walter Reed exist at other facilities. Last week, Gates created an outside panel to review the situation at Walter Reed and the other major military hospital in the Washington area, the National Naval Medical Center at Bethesda, Md. Gates also dismissed Army Secretary Francis J. Harvey, who had fired Weightman and replaced him with Lt. Gen. Kevin Kiley, the Army's surgeon general and a former commander of Walter Reed. Gates said Harvey's response was not aggressive enough.
The Army announced that Maj. Gen. Eric B. Schoomaker will be the new commander of Walter Reed, which is in Washington. In addition, the Army took disciplinary action against several lower-level soldiers at Walter Reed.
Coverage at C-Span.org. YouTube videos below the fold.
Click on 'Article Link' below tags for more...
Dana Priest MS-NBC interview as hearing preparations got underway:
Early preview of the Walter Reed hearings by CBS News First Look senior producer Jim McGlinchy and producer Mary Walsh:
A snippet from Staff Sgt. John Shannon's testimony today:
- Imus on Treatment of Troops with PTSD
- New Army Hotline for Wounded Warrior, Military Family Help Now Available
- 4th Anniversary of Start of Iraq War Winds Down, 5th Year Begins
- Veterans Must Act Quickly to Submit Concerns to VA Presidential Task Force
- Army Surgeon General, Walter Reed Chief Resigns
- Walter Reed Hearings Review and Latest Developments
- Walter Reed Hearings Get Underway Today
- Reporters Mark Benjamin and Dana Priest on Systemic Military Healthcare Problems
- Walter Reed Fires Top General, WaPo Reports Complaints Heard for 3 Years, Soldiers Muzzled
- President Orders Military Hospital Review, Addresses Veterans' Healthcare Issues Tomorrow
- Newsweek Expands Walter Reed Story to Include Veterans Administration
- NBC Nightly News Update on Walter Reed Story
- Join IAVA's Paul Rieckhoff on TPM Cafe Today
- YouTube Speaks Out: Let's Help Our Vets!
- Bush on Walter Reed: "Find out what the problem is and fix it."
- More WaPo Fallout: Senators, WH, Veterans and Pundits Chime In
- WaPo Reporter Dana Priest on Don Imus Show
- WaPo Investigation Fallout: Walter Reed Jumps Into Action
- WaPo Investigation, Part II: Walter Reed's Mologne House
- WaPo: Walter Reed Patients 'Neglected, Frustrated'
- Malingering as Vet Brain Injury Cases Soar