Far from a complete compilation, I've drawn together a number of activities and promotions (free food for vets! :o) that are being offered to coincide with Veterans Day, which takes place next Wednesday, November 11.
I'll be adding to this list throughout the week.
Whatever you do from now until then, be sure to find some small or large way to extend yourself to the military families in your community (I've already posted on my plans; if you're in the Rockford/DeKalb, IL area, please join me).
Selection of Veterans Day events and activities:
- Online - "From November 1 through Veterans Day 2009 a wounded warrior, family or warrior caregiver will be profiled and share their story through video on Overstock.com. Overstock.com hopes to raise $30,000 by November 11th, Veteran's Day, by allowing customers to donate a dollar or more to the Wounded Warrior Project at checkout. [Currently they are nearly $14,000]. Customers can also purchase Wounded Warrior Project apparel. All net proceeds go directly to Wounded Warrior Project."
- Nationwide - "For the 11th straight year, McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurants will host its Veterans Appreciation Event on Sunday, November 8, at participating restaurants across the country. As part of the celebration, McCormick & Schmick's will offer U.S. military veterans a complimentary entree in appreciation for their service to our country."
- Nationwide - Vets eat free at Applebee's on Veterans Day.
- Nationwide - "Dollar General is honoring men and women who have served our country in the military with a special discount on Veterans Day. On Nov. 11, all veterans, active duty military, National Guard and Reserve, and their immediate families will receive a 10 percent discount at Dollar General with a Veterans Day coupon. ...The Dollar General Veterans Day coupon can be found in the Nov. 1 Dollar General advertising circular in stores or by asking a Dollar General sales associate for the coupon. More information about the Veterans Day discount is available at www.dollargeneral.com.
- Nationwide - Many VFW posts across the country host Veterans Day dinners and related events. Find one near you by checking with your local group's website. You might also wish to sign the VFW's Pledge to Remember the True Meaning of Veterans Day.
- Nationwide - See VetFriends.com's U.S. Veterans Day Parade Directory for an event near you."
- Nationwide - IAVA has an interactive map of events.
- Various [NJ, NH, NY, RI, LA] - "How communities can help address the often shattering effects of war is the focus of public forums in several cities on or around Veterans Day. In Hoboken, NJ, the Nov. 11 event is being held at the high school under the sponsorship of Mayor Dawn Zimmer and the Board of Education. It features a showing of “Leave No Soldier,” a documentary by Donna Bassin about veterans helping one another deal with troubling war memories; a staged reading from a new play, “Flashback,” by Penny Coleman, about the emotional turmoil in families of veterans who killed themselves; and a panel discussion of veterans and counselors with the audience.
- University of Iowa - "Two Iowa women who have sons serving in the military collaborated on a "labor of love" to create a Home of the Brave Quilt honoring all University of Iowa veterans: past, present and future. The quilt will be donated to the UI and unveiled at the Second Annual UI Veterans Day Reception from 3 to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 10, one day prior to Veterans Day, in the Iowa Memorial Union Second Floor Ballroom. The event is free and open to the public. ... A free screening and discussion of the film "Lioness," will follow the ceremony from 5 to 7 p.m., also in the IMU Second Floor Ballroom. "Lioness: There for the Action, Missing from History" tells the story of a group of female Army support soldiers who were part of the first program in American history to send women into direct ground combat. Organizers hope to have several "Lionesses" participate in the discussion."
- Fort Worth [TX] Business Press - "Beginning Nov. 12 – the day after Veteran’s Day – until Nov. 19, Reata Restaurant's two locations will offer a $35 fixed-price three-course menu, with $7 of each meal donated to the Wounded Warrior Project. Wine pairings are available for each course for an additional $20 per person, per meal. ...Reservations are strongly encouraged. Call 817-336-1009 in Fort Worth or go to www.reata.net (Fort Worth only) and designate the Wounded Warrior Dinner.
- Kansas City [MO] Star - "An American hero and the Hollywood star who portrayed him will be remembered this Veterans Day during a special event at the Liberty Memorial. The son of Alvin C. York and the daughter of Gary Cooper will talk about their famous fathers in a free event at 1 p.m. on Nov. 11 in the auditorium of the National World War I Museum. ...The special guests will be Andrew Jackson York and Maria Cooper Janis. ...The traditional Veterans Day ceremony at the memorial will be indoors at 10 a.m."
- Branson [MO] Veterans Task Force - "America's largest Veterans Day celebration, "Veterans Homecoming Week", takes place in Branson, Missouri, November 5-11. This seven-day tribute includes many special events, many of which are free and all of which present patriotic salutes to veterans. Words are inadequate to describe the many moving moments as Branson entertainers and community members, young and old, pay tribute to America's heroes." See link for schedule.
- Green Bay [WI] Press Gazette - Listing of WI events.
- War Vets [WI] - Big list of WI events/promotions.
- NIU Veterans Club [IL] - A week's worth of free programming.
- University of Maryland - A week's worth of free programming.
- Mansfield [OH] News Journal - "United Auto Workers Local 549 will host a breakfast for veterans from 5:30 to 11:30 a.m. Friday at the union hall, 2510 W. Fourth St. There will be speakers, raffles and a performance by the Young Marines. Pancakes, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, hash browns, toast, orange juice, milk, coffee and tea are on the menu."
- Providence [RI] Journal - Listing of RI events.
- Kentucky's VA - Listing of KY events.
- Ashland, NE - Strategic Air & Space Museum has an entire day's worth of events (including "Taking Chance" showings) beginning at 10:30 a.m. on Veterans Day.
- Colonial Williamsburg [VA] - "All veterans of service in America's Armed Forces are invited to participate in the parade beginning at the Capitol at 4:30 pm, with groups forming at 4:15 p.m. Following the procession. there will be a ceremony honoring all veterans of American service. Active duty military, guard and reservists, retirees, veterans and their dependents enjoy free admission to Colonial Williamsburg Friday through Wednesday, Nov. 6-11."
- Leesburg [VA] Today - "Leesburg-based Woodcraft and more than 80 of its sister stores across the country are preparing to host the 4th Annual Turning for Troops event, taking place over Veteran’s Day weekend. Those who visit the store’s kiosk at the Dulles Town Center Mall will have the opportunity to craft a high-quality wooden pen for American servicemen and women actively deployed overseas. ...Woodcraft personnel will be on hand from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Nov. 7 and from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Nov. 8 to provide instruction on how to make the pens. Because organizers are expecting several participants, those interested in turning pens are asked to pre-register for a time on the lathe by calling 703-737-7880. For further information visit email@example.com.
Last updated Nov 34, 2009 at 1:21 p.m.
- NIU Veterans Club Kicks Off Its Veterans Day Events as National Military Family Month Begins
- Veterans Day: Thanks to Our Service Members and Their Caregivers
- NIU Veterans Day Ceremony Calls Upon Nation to Care for Its Heroes
- Veterans Day
- Sign Military.com's Veterans Bill of Rights
- C-Span: Vets Day Programming on Book TV