As we remember veterans of all wars today, a look at the conditions faced by our current crop is also in order:
- About 1.3 million troops have served in Iraq and Afghanistan (GAO)
- 86,000+ already granted VA disability, 30,000 claims still pending review (GWU National Archives)
- 38,000+ already receiving VA care for psychological injuries (Stars & Stripes)
- 20,000+ returned with polytraumatic injuries (Iraq Coalition Casualty Count)
- Final percentage of troops expected to have PTSD, unknown (reasonable expectation: 10-35%)
Keeping their families and battle buddies in mind today, and hoping you spend this weekend safely near those you love the most. Thank you, troops and vets.