Received this head's up on two important upcoming House Veterans Affairs Committee hearings from Mike and Kim Bowman. In December as you may recall, they offered Chairman Bob Filner and the committee heartrending testimony on their son Tim's suicide. Tim was an Illinois National Guard member, one of the OEF/OIF veterans' groups most at risk for taking their own lives after returning home.
Dates to make a note of:
2/28/2008 - Mental Health Treatment for Families: Supporting Those Who Support our Veterans
4/01/2008 - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Treatment and Research: Moving Ahead Toward Recovery
More on these hearings as it becomes available.
P.S. And a big congrats to Rep. Filner for recently being recognized as the 2007 “Legislator of the Year” by the California Association of County Veterans Service Officers (CACVSO). The award generally goes to state legislators, but the local organization felt it was appropriate to extend the honor in the face of the incredible work Filner has done on the national level for veterans and the issues that are important to them.
I couldn't agree more. Kudos, Chairman Filner!
- A Thank You to the House Veterans Affairs Committee From a Concerned Citizen
- Upcoming House Veterans' Affairs Committee Hearing on Veteran Suicide and Homelessness
- Veterans Service Organizations Praise Democratic Congressional Leadership
- Incoming House Veterans Affairs Chair on PTSD
- Today, Thank Those Working for Our Veterans