As part of Mental Illness Awareness Week every October, one day is set aside by clinicians throughout the country to offer free screenings and educational programs. Today is that day (apologies this post is so late). Details from About.com:
What Should I Expect During a Screening?
Screenings are free and completely confidential. The screening is an opportunity to learn more about anxiety and mood disorders, complete a brief screening questionnaire, and speak one-on-one with a mental health professional. If appropriate, you may be referred for a complete evaluation.
As part of the screening, you will have the opportunity to:
* Complete a written screening questionnaire,
* Discuss your results with a health professional,
* Get a list of clinicians and treatment facilities in your area,
* Watch an educational video,
* Pick up some pamphlets and brochures, and
* Fill out a "friends and family questionnaire" for a loved one.
To find a site near you, visit www.mentalhealthscreening.org.
If you can't get out today in time for a free consultation, About.com has a list of online depression screening tools.