Thursday, March 30, 2006

PTSD Poetry: Power, Pain, and Progress

I recently received approval to reprint the following moving poem written by a soldier who'd served in Mosul, Iraq with the mighty 101st Airborne. Known as Mr. Sandman, he's been blogging on his experiences in Iraq, as well as his experiences with PTSD now that he's returned home to his wife, family, and friends. His blog, "The Iraq War", Through the Eyes of a Soldier is a highly recommended journey. Thank you, Mr. Sandman, for your service, for sharing your difficult experiences with others, and for allowing me to reprint one of your many fine poems. In my eyes, you're a hero through and through.

Click on 'Article Link' below tags for more...

Only For a Moment - © 2006 David Kerpash

For a moment...I was a part of something huge
I was invincible....strong....a powerhouse of a man
A soldier!!

For a moment I was part of a brotherhood....
that had been tested in time
Never believing I would ever have to kill.....
for a moment I dreamed of exotic locations and college
Naive to believe I was special.....I took the oath of a soldier

I try to be strong for my wife....a lover, and a husband....
and soon to be father
Hating the weakness I now show....as a vulnerable man
I hide away the decay inside me....buried deep....I pretend all is well
But in dreams.....they always find me....only to exhaust me, and drench me in guilt

Now I join the ranks of the forgotten....
a disabled veteran who has lost his sense of purpose
Longing to go back to the fight......
even though it brings me nighmares.....
I dream of making a difference
To put right what went wrong too many times in Iraq

I wish so much that I could get back to the person I was back then......before PTSD....before the war


 Related Posts


Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Want to stay connected? You can subscribe to PTSD Combat via Feedburner or follow Ilona on Twitter.
Later/Newer Posts Previous/Older Posts Return Home

Archives
2011: Jan Feb
2010: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec
2009: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec
2008: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec
2007: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec
2006: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec
2005: Sept Oct Nov Dec

Legal Notice

The information presented on this web site is based on news reports, medical and government documents, and personal analysis. It does NOT represent therapeutic prescription or recommendation. For specific advice and information, consult your health care provider.

Comments at PTSD Combat do not necessarily represent the editor's views. Illegal or inappropriate material will be removed when brought to our attention. The existence of such does not reflect an endorsement.



This site contains at times large portions of copyrighted material not specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This material is used for educational purposes, to forward understanding of issues that concern veterans and military families. In accordance with U.S. Copyright Law Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit. More information.