Following the stunning testimony yesterday by Pat Tillman's family and Army Private Jessica Lynch, more families are coming forward today. Streaming live (beginning 2pm ET) and archived here.
On Wednesday at 2:00pm ET, the Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs will be holding a hearing on the mental health issues faced by returning combat veterans. IAVA Legislative Director Patrick Campbell will be talking about recent efforts by the VA to address these issues, and about his own experiences in Iraq. Ellen and Randy Omvig, whose son Joshua committed suicide just a few months after returning from a tour of duty in Iraq, will be speaking on the panel with him.
Watch the hearing live or afterwards here.
Wishing my best to the Omvigs.
Click on 'Article Link' below tags for full witness list...
Tony Bailey, father of Justin Bailey
Randall Omvig, father of Joshua Omvig
Ellen Omvig, mother of Joshua Omvig
Patrick Campbell, Congressional Liaison, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Connie L. Best, PhD, Senior Faculty Member, National Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center, Medical University of South Carolina
David Oslin, MD, Director, VISN 4, Mental Illness Research Education and Clinical Center, Department of Veterans Affairs
Jan Kemp, RN, PhD, Associate Director for Education, VISN 19, Mental Illness Research Education and Clinical Center, Department of Veterans Affairs
Patricia Resick, PhD, Director, Women’s Division, National Center for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Department of Veterans Affairs
Ira Katz, MD, PhD, Deputy Chief Patient Care Services Officer for Mental Health, Department of Veterans Affairs
Ralph Ibson, JD, Vice President for Government Relations, Mental Health America
From yesterday's hearings, Kevin (brother of Pat) Tillman's opening statement:
Jessica Lynch opening statement, very powerful:
- Joshua Omvig Veterans Suicide Prevention Bill Signed by President
- Joshua Omvig Veterans Suicide Prevention Act Passes House and Senate, Ready for President's Signature
- Unanimously-Passed Veterans Suicide Prevention Bill Placed on Hold
- Wednesday: Senate Hearing Explores Mental Health Issues of Returning Troops
- It's Unanimous: Veterans Suicide Prevention Bill Passes House
- Phone House Representatives Today in Support of Joshua Omvig Veterans Suicide Prevention Bill
- McClatchy Digs Deep into VA PTSD Care Records
- Capitol Hill Tackles Combat PTSD
- Iowa Sens Support Vet Suicide Prevention Bill
- Action Item: HR 5771, Joshua Omvig Veterans Suicide Prevention Act