Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Poem: PTSD -- 1st Person

Recently, I came across the following poem by a blogger who goes by the name of Universal. The lines were written after talking with a friend coping with combat PTSD, and the links are the original ones created by the author. Thank you for letting me reprint and share it here with others, Universal.

I can't sleep, can't feel
Anything.
Time passes in chunks now --
A month passes for me
Like someone else's day.

Zombies don't have rhythms;
I go wherever my trance
Takes me.
Today I panic in a store,
Where danger doesn't lurk.

Maybe if I stay awake, there
Won't be any nightmares tonight.
But I can't go without rest forever.
It's over, finished. So why am I
Sweating? Why am I still afraid?

Today I saw most of my family
For the first time in a year.
Nothing felt real; everybody was a
Stranger I am supposed to know.
"Dissociation," I think a doctor said.

No bumps, no bruises. No broken limbs.
But my mind is shattered, along with my
Soul.
I don't know how to tell you that, don't
Know how to put the genie back in the bottle.

When my emotions got shut off, I didn't get to
choose which ones I wanted to keep;
They all left; they are all gone.
And it feels like there is an invisible hand
Keeping me frozen on my bed.

I used to care about how I looked, but now
All I can think about is what I saw, what I
Experienced; nothing seems to matter beyond
That. I will do anything -- anything at all --
To keep from repeating that time.

I think more now, talk less. Months of numbness
Are followed by a week of depression and tears.
I am weak, frail, imperfect.
Broken.
My identity then irrevocably altered.

Do I want help, you ask.
How are you going to help me?
You weren't there; you don't know
What I saw, what I did.
What was done to me.

How does one 'undo' a scorched mind?
Deep within me a voice mumbles 'help;'
But you'll never hear that. All you will
See is my distant, fixed stare and my
Clenched jaw. I can't take the chance.

How long will it be before you
Give up on me? I know it's coming;
I'm resigned to my fate. Resigned to a
Lot of things, actually. Here, in my bunker,
In Hell.

[UPDATE Nov 24, 2007]: A PBS NewsHour segment that ran last week exploring veterans taking a poetry class at West Point.




Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Want to stay connected? You can subscribe to PTSD Combat via Feedburner or follow Ilona on Twitter.
Later/Newer Posts Previous/Older Posts Return Home

Archives
2011: Jan Feb
2010: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec
2009: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec
2008: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec
2007: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec
2006: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec
2005: Sept Oct Nov Dec

Legal Notice

The information presented on this web site is based on news reports, medical and government documents, and personal analysis. It does NOT represent therapeutic prescription or recommendation. For specific advice and information, consult your health care provider.

Comments at PTSD Combat do not necessarily represent the editor's views. Illegal or inappropriate material will be removed when brought to our attention. The existence of such does not reflect an endorsement.



This site contains at times large portions of copyrighted material not specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This material is used for educational purposes, to forward understanding of issues that concern veterans and military families. In accordance with U.S. Copyright Law Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit. More information.